Born in 1970, al-Wady al-Gadid, Egypt. Lives and works in Cairo, Egypt.
The work of Hanafy Mahmoud demonstrates the artist’s deeply felt engagement with some of the central issues of existence and the meaning of life. Fundamental to his art is the close observation of the sensual and psychological dimensions of the human kind. The paintings consist of life size individual figures or groups of men and women, often nude, set against dream-like backgrounds.
“It is truly most amazing, there is a reason for everything. If speech was silver, if silence was gold, If tears were flames, and humility decorum; You would be right to be amazed, and for that deserve no blame.” From the quatrains of the Egyptian man of letters Salah Jahin. “Many faces moving here and there in a mass of expressions and silent eyes. Faces frowning but expressing intensely what thoughts are going on inside this external border. This deep-seated silence which at the same time is intensely and loudly expressive occupies me a great deal and affects me and I am influenced by it.The prime source of my inspiration in my works is the human condition and the events which surround it. The crowded street, public transport, packed with silent, frowning faces filled with expressions of refusal and objection and discontent, this affects me. Everything to do with the social, political or economic situation of man. Humanity is pivotal to my works and my concerns.”
- 2009 14|05|09 Undercurrent Contemporary Egyptian art, Art Sawa, Dubai, UAE.
- 2009 Solo, Ebdaa Art Gallery, Cairo, Egypt.
- 2008 11th Cairo International Biennial, Cairo, Egypt.
- 2008 17|12|08 Creative Expressions, Art Sawa, Dubai; Art Sawa, Art Paris Abu Dhabi art fair, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- 2008 22|10|08 Opening, Art Sawa, Dubai; Salon Gallery 2, Palace of the Arts, Cairo; Festival of Art Creativity, Palace of the Arts, Cairo, Egypt.
- 2008 The International Day of the Environment, Artistic View, Sa’ad Zaghloul Cultural Centre, Cairo, Egypt.
- 2007 Festival of Art Creativity, Palace of the Arts, Cairo; Solo, Khalifa Gallery, Gezira Art Centre, Cairo; Egipto Artes Plásticas, Alicante, Spain.
- 2006 Stars of the Day, Horizon One Gallery, Cairo; Contemporary Egyptian Art, Dubai Cultural Council, Dubai, UAE.
- 2005 29th National Exhibition for Fine Arts, Cairo; Solo, Ekhnaton Galleries 4A, 4B and 6, Zamalek Arts Centre, Cairo; Ramadaniat, Cairo Atelier, Cairo, Egypt.
- 2004 Frankfurt International Book Fair; Youth Salon, Cairo (also in 2004, 2003,
- 2003 28th National Exhibition for Fine Arts, Cairo.
- 2002, 2000, 1999, 1997, 1995); Solo, Rateb Sedik Gallery, Cairo Atelier, Cairo; Light of the Shape, Palace of the Arts, Cairo.
- 2002 Solo, Karim Francis Gallery, Cairo.
- 2000 Solo, Hanafy Mahmoud Mohammed, Akhenaton Gallery (4) Zamalek Arts Centre, Cairo; Salon of Miniature Works of Art (also in 1998), Cairo.
- 2008 Mamoun, Tariq, “The International Day of the Environment: Artistic Views”, Sa’ad Zaghlol Cultural Centre, Egypt, p10-11.
- 2008 Muhammed Housni, Tawfiq, “2nd Gallery Salon”, exhibition catalogue, p30.
- 2006-2007 Ali, Fatima, “Contemporary Egyptian Art”, exhibition brochure.
- 2006 Yasser, Mangi & Ali, Fatima, “Stars of the Day”, Mr. and Mrs. Mohamed Mahmoud Khalil Museum, Horizon One Gallery, p34-37, 95-96, 106-107.
- 2002 Hamza, Mohammed, “Youth Salon Encyclopaedia”, 2nd Edition, Egypt.
- 1994 Al Sharoony, Sobhy, “Youth Salon Encyclopaedia”, 1st Edition, Egypt
Hanafy MahmoudHanafy Mahmoud Mohammed Khalafalla – BA 1993. – MA in painting at Faculty of Art Education, 2002.Ekhnaton art gallery,Kareem Francis art gallery, 2002. Rateb Sedeek art gallery, Cairo Atelier, 2004. Ekhnaton (4A, 4B, 6) art galleries, Zamalek Arts Center, 2005. ( Kamal Khaliefa) gallery – Gezira Arts Center , 2007 -. The 7th Youth Salon, Cairo, 1995. 1997. 1998. 1999.2000 -2001-2003-2004 The Second Salon of Mini Works of Art, 1998. The Fourth Salon of Mini Works of Art, 2000. (the Egyptian Modern Art) Group show at Lapdoga art gallery , Zamalek , 2003. . The 28th National Art Exhibition, 2003.2005 Exhibition ` Today Stars` – Horizone One Gallery November 2006 – 1st Festival of Fine Creation ( General exhibition and 1st Fine Art Fair 2007) – 2nd Festival of Fine Creation (31st General exhibition) 2008 Garash International Festival, Jordan, 2000. Frankfort International Book Faire, 2004. – The Egyptian Fine art Forum in Venice, August 2008 -11th International Cairo Biennale , December 2008 -Salon prize for painting, the 9th Youth Salon, 1997. Encouraging prize of Gazebya Serry Contest, Cairo, 1993. Jury prize of the 12th Youth Salon, Cairo, 2000. Salon prize and Oscar (Gold Pyramid) plus merit certificate (shared with artist Hayam Abdel-Baqy), the 16th Youth Salon, 2004.